Click here to find out more

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Walking the hill

Here I am checking in from Santa Clarita where my Mother lives at the top of a hill. I use to walk this years ago but haven't attempted it in a while. It's easy going down one side, meandering through a neighborhood of pretty yards. Then there is a stretch along the boulevard at the bottom that is lined with traffic on one side and coffee shops and take out Chinese on the other. Then The Hill. It leads up at an obscene slope for walking - deceptive at first but wearing on your lungs and heart before reaching the top and completing the circuit back to the house. When I set out this morning to walk Kaylee I didn't intend to make the full circle, I just set out to exercise the little before leaving her with my Mom for the day. But I felt so good. I was 194 with PJ's on according to this little scale that isn't mine and it set the tone for my morning. So I set off walking in a good mood listening to one of my favorite books (Eat Pray Love) and before I knew it I was walking along the boulevard heading for The Hill. I barely paused before turning the corner and heading up the incline that I remembered as being a ball buster - well, you know what I mean. And I had a good excuse to just turn around and go back the way I had come - the sun was rising and full in my face, making it uncomfortable to walk and hard to see. But keeping my head down I just kept walking, my feet had a mind of their own apparently. And while it was a good work out, it didn't kill me. I reached the top breathing hard but not panting, my heart wasn't pounding out of my chest, and my legs wern't burning. What? How could this be? I finished the trek home to jump on Mom's computer and wait through a dial up connection to brag to the world at the improvement in my stamina. I knew my strength was better, but this overall sense of well being and endurance is beyond my expectations and oh so very welcome. Things just keep getting better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment