Click here to find out more

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Mac n Cheese moment

I started the day out slow and didn't eat breakfast until ten. I've figured out by now that when I do that it sends some kind of trigger for me to eat more later in the day. I had a burrito bowl at noon, using up the leftovers from last night, but by two this afternoon I was craving something more. Which would have been fine if I had been home to have a Lean shake, but I wasn't, I was out and about running errands. What follows is a little embarrassing, but oh well. I had stopped at the bank in Safeway, and all of a sudden I heard my old friend Mac n Cheese calling out to me from the Deli. So I just cruised the display case to see if there was any there...and sure enough, half a pan of creamy sticky gooyness was waiting for me. Now this is not the regular Deli counter, this is that hot buffet in the middle of the store filled with fat and sodium rich entrees steaming and ready to eat. I grabbed a couple of scoops and a fork and checked out. Thankfully, as I reached the car I remembered that I had a 30-Day pack of Core4 in the back; how fortuitous that I hadn't opened one yet for my 2nd month. I opened up that case and unsealed a bottle of Cheat and sprinkled my pile of sticky golden noodles quick as a bunny. This is the sad part, I ate as I drove home! I did at least wait until I had cleared out of the parking lot, but I haven't ever done this before; fast food yes, but not eating hot deli food out of a container from the store - just a random act of craziness I guess. But I counted it as my dinner and then had a 2nd green smoothie later on in the evening around dinner time. I have to admit I have been thinking about that Mac n Cheese for some time now, I just hadn't taken the time to pick any up. It's a once in a while indulgence - seriously once in a while, like once a year - since I try to stay away from dairy as much as possible, usually getting my cheese on the occasional pizza. I shouldn't feel guilty about this, I did use my Cheat, but it's more the behavior that sticks in my craw more than anything. But this is exactly the behavior that has slowed down my weight loss over the past year, so I'm glad I have the support of Core4 this time. On the positive side, I only took a 'regular' serving, not enough for a family of four, and the Cheat took care of a quarter of those calories; all in all I had a treat, more like an early dinner, and didn't have to pay for it in excess calories. So why am I even stressing? Because in my mind eating in the car is taboo, and that normally equals failure on my part. Not this time. Don't get me wrong, I do not now think that it's okay to eat in the car now that I have my bottle of Cheat, and I won't be doing this on a regular basis, but it's no longer the horrible start of a binge that it might have been in the past. I did get out for a walk about an hour after I got home, and earlier in the day I had shot off 30 arrows and done 30 push ups, so the exercise portion of my day was spot on. Then a small handful of mixed raw nuts and a luscious nectarine for dessert completed the food portion of my day. Now that I have talked myself around the whole experience, I guess I'm making a big deal out of nothing. So I guess the point is that it wasn't a big deal this time, and I need to quit beating myself up so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment