Click here to find out more

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Muscles, muscles, muscles

A friend and neighbor is looking forward to an upcoming cruise, and in preparation asked me to join her in working out at the local gym. Perfect timing, I thought, to give me an exercise boost while following the Ignite program (call me for details) and preparing for my trip South. What I forgot about is how fast I build muscle :)

I love working out in the gym, ready to click the up arrow to increase my speed and incline on the treadmill, first to add another weight to the machines that sit in rows ready to welcome out sweaty butts. But this translates to more muscle damage and the subsequent repair mechanism that our body uses to build muscle - of which Lean is a great supporter. So while my goal this week was to use the Ignite program to lose some pounds, instead I am building more muscle in those places not normally exercised; when is the last time you used an Abdominal Crunch machine in a gym? OMG, I hurt in places I forgot I had. Because of a repetitive motion back injury I haven't worked out with weights in years, but I am getting better and it felt so great to be back in the gym...so of course I am going gung ho while all the time my brain is saying to slow down.

We can't help but notice the difference in our strength and recovery as we work out each night, comparing soreness and capability. It's fun walking next to each other on the treadmill and matching our clicks as we challenge ourselves and each other. I tried walking with the same determination out on the sidewalks this morning as I took Kaylee for our daily jaunt and I just couldn't do it. Incline aside, without the treadmill to keep me going at a brisk pace I found myself slacking off and had to keep mentally reminding myself to pick it up again. Tonight is our last night working out together before I head down to LA, and I will miss our visits next week. Because it's not just the intensity of the workout that is good for me, but also the chatter and laughter that she brings to the evening; food for the soul is just as important as nutrients to feed the body.

Speaking of food, I am really loving my Lean kiwi shakes. I quarter up a kiwi, skin and all (lots of micro nutrients there) and add 2oz of a liquid superfood, a scoop of Lean, and cover with cold filtered water from the fridge. A minute blending in my magic bullet and I have a cold, light, frothy, sweet drink that is very satisfying after my morning walk. And do I love knowing that the Lean is promoting lean tissue? You bet.

So while once again I may not see the pounds shedding off, I am excited about taking my measurements again on the 8th to see what changes my denser, smaller muscles are making in my body shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment